Saturday, January 8, 2011

"Babylegs" by Mama Tots

The baby craft bug has bitten, and I'm so into tiny little projects that we can put on our girl and have the satisfaction of knowing I made for her.  My current obsession regarding her future tiny parts to be adorned with handmade love happens to be "Babylegs" - the name is copyrighted I'm sure, but the concept is not.  For those who might wonder, "Babylegs" are little teeny legwarmers for baby's bare legs - why in the world does a baby need leg warmers, you ask?  Well, for newborns they are handy for keeping their legs covered and warm during diaper changes and so you don't have to mess with getting pant legs on and off.  As they grow, babylegs are helpful for covering and padding crawling knees and keeping legs warm during colder months even under pants (or little dresses OMG). So needless to say,  I thought I'd try my craft-loving hand at a pair, and here's what we've got. I think I'm going French with this one, and calling them "Bebe-Jambes" :)

Crocheted Bebe-Jambes by Mama tots:
These would be better pics if there were baby toes sticking out of the ends...but you get the idea. 



I can't wait to see her little cloth-diapered bum and chubby little thighs with these lovelies on! I have another color of yarn waiting for me to whip up another set, and it might just become a bit of an addiction, I'm afraid.  

I followed a pattern (here: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70440AD.html?noImages=)  but made some adjustments and used a self-striping sock weight yarn instead of alternating colors of worsted weight yarn, so I'll repost my pattern in case you want to have at it!

Newborn size baby leg warmers: 

Yarn used: Serenity Sock Weight (or "fingering" weight) yarn in Thyme, 1 skein (1.76 oz)
E-4 crochet hook
Yarn needle

Using larger hooks or a heavier weight yarn will result in larger leg warmers.  Test gauge to achieve desired size. Mine measure about 2 1/4" across and 11" long. 

Lower Ribbing

Begin with Ch 6.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across - 5 sc.
Rows 2-36: Ch 1, turn, working in back loops only, sc in each sc across

Leg
Rnd 1: Pivot to work in ends of rows along edge, ch 2, work 38 hdc evenly spaced along edge; join with sl st in top of beginning ch.
Rnd 2-38 (or until 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) less than desired length): Ch 2, turn, hdc in each hdc around; join with sl st in top of turning ch. 

Top Ribbing
Note:
 Sc worked in rows and through the back loop only, forms the top ribbing. The rows are joined to the top (last rnd) of the Leg with sl sts as work proceeds. 
Begin with ch 6.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, sl st in next hdc of last rnd of leg - 5 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in back loop of each sc across.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in back loop of each sc across, skip next hdc of last rnd of leg, sl st in next hdc of last rnd of leg.
Rep last 2 rows until top ribbing has been worked around entire top edge of leg. Working through both thicknesses, sl st through ch-6 foundation ch and last row of top ribbing to close seam. Fasten off. 
FINISHING
Sew lower ribbing seam. Weave in ends.


I found the seam to look slightly cleaner by turning the finished leg inside out after weaving the ends in.  

1 comment: