Friday, July 29, 2011

Norah Grows: 3 Months!

My little girl, you are already 3 months old! I knew that this time with you over the summer was going to pass quickly, but I couldn't have imagined just how much you have grown and changed in what seems like the blink of an eye.  I know parents the world over will tell any new mother and father to enjoy all the moments, even the sleep deprived madness moments, because "they grow so fast" and "before you know it she'll be getting her driver's license" and  "mine used to look like that...now she's in college".  I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, but really, I am amazed at the ways you have changed before my eyes.
3 Months Old! 

At 3 months, you are able to fully hold your head up and look around any chance you get...practically unless you are sleeping, you are scoping out the scenery and taking in the world in giant gulps.  You are able to sit upright in the "Bumbo" all by yourself, which is a fabulous new discovery because I think it makes you feel much more a part of what's going on than lying flat on your back somewhere.

First time in the Bumbo, checking it out.  Love your chubby arms!

You have discovered that your hands can actually hold toys that you are interested in, and you spend long stretches examining new and exciting toys, bringing them to your mouth, turning them over, shaking them and most likely, eventually whacking yourself in the face with them!

Hey Mama, just reading my book! 

Surprised yourself with the crinkly noises

Flipping pages
I think you have entered into some degree of teething territory.  You are a drool factory, and your pudgy little hands are constantly in your mouth lately.  A few times a day, it seems like you get little shooting pains that make you cry out in a different way than your usual "I'm hungry" or "I'm tired" cries.  It's so hard to always know what is going on, but we have tried the frozen teethers and they seem to help sometimes, and other times, just snuggling or nursing helps a little.  Every now and then though, we've resorted to the Tylenol when it seems like you are just out of sorts and nothing else will do.  Hopefully you aren't in too much discomfort, but I know this pre-teething stage can last for months before we see any actual choppers.  It's hard for me to imagine what your sweet smile will look like with teeth, because we've gotten so used to it without any! I have no doubt we will continue to think it's the sweetest smile around though :)


Bright eyes! I love your crazy Alfafa Sprout hair, too :)  

Chewing on those fingers! 
Your hair seems to be changing shades a little bit, too.  What was initially a thick cap of dark brown hair when you were born has thinned and lightened, and the hair coming in underneath it all is golden blonde! Your eyebrows have a light reddish brown tint to them, and we are so interested to see what color your hair and eyes will eventually become.  Your Daddy was blonde as a little boy, but his hair grew darker over time.  Your mama has had dark brown hair just like you since the day she was born, too.  Your eyes are still true blue, but every now and then depending on the light, they seem like they might be changing and getting lighter, too.   

In your exer-saucer, reaching for toys with intent

Tummy time - a typical expression


You are getting better and better at rolling over, too.  You are now pretty adept at the back-to-belly roll, but still aren't doing it on auto-pilot just yet.  Don't think you aren't mobile, though! You are a master of scooching, and can shimmy and wiggle yourself around the floor/bed/changing table in a matter of seconds.  Gone are the days of leaving you somewhere unattended! This is your new move, today:

Downward facing dog?

Whatchoo lookin' at, Willis?
Our daily routine is getting somewhat more predictable these days, as well.  You go to bed between 9:30-11:00 at night, and sleep until around 2:00-3:00 AM for your first feeding.  Usually, you wake up again around 5:00 AM to eat, and go back to sleep until 8 or 8:30.  Then we start the day and boy are you happy when you wake up fully!! Mornings are the best time of the day for you, and you just giggle and smile and enjoy playing wherever you are.  You will usually take a 30-40 minute nap around 10:00 or so, and another around noon.  Then, it's hard to tell when your longer afternoon nap will be depending on what we've done that day. Often, it's around 2:30 or 3, and sometimes if you sleep in the car while we're driving around doing errands or sleep on my chest in your carrier, you will sleep for up to 2 hours.  Other days, though, it's hit or miss and just another 30 minutes.  Basically, you still sleep sort of whenever you want, and sometimes only for a short little snooze after nursing and you're ready to play again.  I'd like to get you onto a bit more scheduled sleeping routine in the next month before I go back to work, but we'll see if you are as into that plan as I am :).

Mama has a few nicknames for you, and as is the case with most nicknames, who knows how they evolved, but some don't really make any sense! Most often, if I don't call you Norah, it's Toots or Tooties.  We call you Sister, Girlfriend, Boo, Scooby.  Norabel, Bella, and Norah-boo are frequently used, too.  I hope you learn your true name before any of these! 

I have one more month home with you, and we are taking a vacation with Grandpa Smith and Tryn and Liam to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in a week.   I am really looking forward to this trip, and I hope that you do well in the car all the way up there and over the bridge! (You'll do better with the bridge than mama, no doubt.)  After we get back, I will have 2 weeks to mentally and physically prepare for returning to work after 5 whole months off...I'm sure I will never really feel ready to go back and leave you 5 days a week, but such is life.  I have truly cherished this time home with you, and I know that working full time is something I have to do in order to continue to provide you with the things in life I want you to have.  I hope that you always know how much I love you, and how special every minute I spend with you is to me.  That will never change, even when I'm working 40 hours each week.  At least I know that when I'm away, you will be with Daddy, Grandma or Grandpa, and those days will be special for you, too.  

Mama loves you more every day, my little Tooties :)






2 comments:

  1. OMG - She is soooo beautiful! I love the perspective you take in the writing, as though you are writing to Miss Norah herself :) So excited to watch her grow and EXCELLENT photos by mom help! Picked out my next ideal lens...only $1600...It will def be a post-wedding save,save,save thing, but whatevs...I could be a gambler??? I need these lenses to take pictures of my Norah and Nora :) Lauren calls her little Nora- Nora-boo-boo :) Must be a Nora/h thing! Coming out in Sept. for my last fitting - I'll let you know when. Have a GREAT time in the U.P. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Oh yes...my "next" lens is also like 1400 or 1600 or something...ha! I mean, I could buy lenses and we could live with my Mom forever :) or...not. Guess I'll make do with these for now.

    ReplyDelete